Please visit to stay updated on campus COVID-19 information.

Listed under: “during”

Student Health & Wellness

Both clinical and wellness related appointments are available at Student Health & Wellness, located in the Westlawn building (map). Consultations are available on several wellness topics (NutritionPhysical ActivityStressTobacco, & Sexual Health) at the CRWC (map).

Routine appointments at Student Health & Wellness are scheduled for anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour in length depending on the patient's 'concern' (illness, injury, etc. - what you describe to the scheduling staff when you call). Your description helps the scheduling staff determine the most appropriate type and length of appointment to give you. However, even with your best description and our best guess in terms of scheduling, times can vary. Student Health & Wellness tries their best to run on time and get you in and out as quickly as possible, while providing high quality medical care and wellness services.

For more information on their services or to schedule and appointment, visit the Student Health website


Grocery Store Locations

Grocery Store Locations

Iowa City:

  • John's Grocery - 401 E Market St, Iowa City, IA 52245
  • New Pioneer Co-op - 22 S Van Buren St, Iowa City, IA 52240
  • Lucky's Market - 1668 Sycamore St, Iowa City, IA 52240
  • Bread Garden Market - 225 S Linn St, Iowa City, IA 52240
  • Hy-Vee - 1720 Waterfront Dr, Iowa City, IA 52240
  • Aldi - 760 Ruppert Rd, Iowa City, IA 52246
  • Wal-Mart - 919 Hwy 1 W, Iowa City, IA 52246
  • Natural Grocers - 1404 Gilbert St, Iowa City, IA 52240    
  • Asian Market - Asian Market 624 S Gilbert St, Iowa City, IA 52240
  • Fareway Stores - 2530 Westwinds Dr, Iowa City, IA 52246    
  • CVS Pharmacy - 201 S Clinton St, Iowa City, IA 52240

Iowa City Parks & Recreation

Iowa City Parks & Recreation

Take a look at all the Iowa City Recreation Division can offer you and your family this 2017 Fall Activity Guide season. The 2017 Fall Recreation Activity Guide is available online and will be available at several City facilities. Those facilities include the following locations: 

  • Robert A. Lee Community Recreation Center, 220 South Gilbert Street 
  • Mercer Aquatic Center/Scanlon Gymnasium, 2701 Bradford Drive
  • Iowa City Public Library, 123 South Linn Street
  • Iowa City City Hall, 410 E. Washington Street

For more information about events, facilities or programs, visit the Iowa City Parks & Recreation website


Campus Dining

Campus Dining

  • Black's Gold Grill
  • Burge Market Place
  • Catlett Market Place
  • Clinton Street Market
  • Court Cafe
  • EMRB Cafe
  • Fire Up Late Night Grill
  • Food For Thought Cafe
  • Godfather's Pizza Carryout
  • Grande Avenue Market
  • Hillcrest Market Place
  • Mayflower Market
  • Pat's Diner
  • Power Cafe
  • River Room Cafe
  • Street Hawk Food Truck
  • Terrace Grille
  • The Filling Station
  • Union Market
  • Union Station

For menu's and hours of operations, visit the campus dining website

Chief Diversity Office

About the Chief Diversity Office

Within the Chief Diversity Office, the Diversity Resources Team provides consultation, resource, and skill-building opportunities for University of Iowa faculty, staff, students and guests in order to foster an inclusive, respectful and equitable university community.

Equal Opportunity and Diversity (EOD) implements diversity policies at the University of Iowa and supports the university’s compliance with federal/state laws and regulations and university policies prohibiting discrimination, harassment, retaliation and sexual harassment by or towards any UI community member.

The Center for Diversity and Enrichment (CDE) provides precollege students development assistance with facilitating the enrollment process and provides programs and activities that support the ability of underrepresented student to increase their skills to thrive and succeed at the University of Iowa.

  • Within CDE, the Military and Veteran Student Services provides a resource for utilizing the talents, leadership ability and volunteer power of our veteran and military-affiliated community.
  • CDE also administers the federally funded TRiO Student Support Services and Upward Bound programs.
    • TRiO SSS assists in developing and enhancing student academic skills, connects them to resources on campus and in the community and provides programming, tutoring and a safe space to develop relationships for low-income and first-generation students and/or students with disabilities.
    • TRiO Upward Bound helps first-generation and low-income high school students prepare for college and understand the college-going process.

To learn more about the Chief Diversity Office and its programs, visit the website


University Counseling Services

About University Counseling Services (UCS)

The UCS has an inter-disciplinary multicultural staff of psychologists, social workers, graduate interns, practicum students, and administrative professionals. Its training and interests span a broad range of counseling approaches. Each staff member has training and experience working specifically with college students.

The mission of the University Counseling Service is to provide compassionate psychological services, outreach, and training that foster the mental health of students, nurture student success, and contribute to a safe, welcoming, and multiculturally aware campus community.

 To learn more about UCS and its services, visit the website


UI Recreational Services

About Recreational Services 

The Department of Recreational Services is an integral part of the Hawkeye tradition.  The department promotes and coordinates campus-wide competitive and recreational activities.  Events and programs enhance skills, foster life-long friendships, and teach the understanding of true sportsmanship while promoting healthy lifestyle choices.  The department has a longstanding reputation for being a pioneer and leader in collegiate recreation and is well-respected locally, regionally, and within the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association.  But it wasn’t until the construction of the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center (CRWC) in 2010 that UI’s indoor recreational facilities moved from the bottom of the Big 10 to one of the best in the country.  In 2013, Best College Reviews ranked the CRWC #3 nationally in a publication outlining the 25 most amazing campus student recreation centers.

For more information on the facilities or programs, visit the website



Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator

About the Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator (OSMRC)

The Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator (OSMRC) coordinates the university's response to reports of sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking when those reports involve members of or visitors to the university community. Informed by current federal guidance, the OSMRC aims to ensure university responses promptly and effectively stop problem behavior, prevent its recurrence, and remedy its effects. The office:

  • Provides a central place to report an incident
  • Provides expert advice about university policies and procedures
  • Provides referrals to campus and community confidential resources and victim advocates
  • Facilitates accommodations to address safety concerns and support victims or complainants so academic and professional pursuits may continue unimpeded
  • Coordinates the university's response by working with victims or complainants to ensure their wishes are understood and inform the process
  • and more...

To learn more about OSMRC, visit the website


Dean of Students - Emergency Assistance

About Student Care & Assistance

Student Care & Assistance provides assistance to University of Iowa students experiencing crisis and emergency situations. These situations may include:

  • Hospitalization
  • Medical emergencies or long-term illness
  • Mental health concerns
  • Chronic conditions
  • Death of a family member
  • Natural disasters - fire, tornado, flood
  • Off campus living concerns
  • Unexpected events or challenges

To learn more about the Dean of Students and Student Care & Assistance, visit the website



About RVAP

RVAP is a sexual assault victim advocate and prevention education agency that also hosts the Iowa Sexual Abuse Hotline. We serve anyone impacted by sexual violence -- survivors and/or their loved ones in the following eastern Iowa counties: Cedar, Des Moines, Henry, Iowa, Johnson, Lee, Washington, Van Buren. This includes but is not limited to individuals of any age, gender, identity, culture, etc. 

RVAP's mission is to provide free, confidential, trauma-informed advocacy to all affected by sexual violence and promote social change through prevention education.

For more information, visit RVAP's website.


Women's Resource & Action Center

About WRAC

WRAC works to create greater equity for individuals and communities of all identities, with a particular focus on women, through activism, social justice initiatives, leadership training, advocacy, service, and personal and professional development.

WRAC is located at :

Women's Resource & Action Center
Bowman House
230 N. Clinton Street
Iowa City, IA 52242

To learn more, visit the WRAC website



About the University of Iowa Police Department (UIPD)

UIPD's mission is to provide each member of the University of Iowa community with a sense of security throughout campus by creating a safe learning environment at all times and educating students, faculty and staff in matters of protection and personal responsibility. 

To learn more about UIPD and the Department of Public Safety, visit the website.

Resources for Living Off-Campus

Next Door App

Next Door

Nextdoor is the private social network for your neighborhood.

Nextdoor is the best way to stay in the know about what’s going on in your neighborhood—whether it’s finding a last-minute babysitter, learning about an upcoming block party, or hearing about a rash of car break-ins. There are so many ways our neighbors can help us. We just need an easier way to connect with them.
To learn more about the app, visit Next Door's website


Recycling in Iowa City

About Recycling in Iowa City

A blue recycling container is provided for each single-family residence, and each unit of multiple dwelling of four units or fewer. The container is the property of the City and should remain with your home if you move.

Multi-family residences that are five-plex and larger are not served by Iowa City municipal curbside recycling but recycling services are now required to be provided by apartment owners and managers. Please see for more information. 

If you are served by Iowa City curbside recycling and need a replacement container, one can be picked up at the City Hall Cashier, 410 E. Washington Street, during normal business hours from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Dropping off recycling

  • East Side Recycling Center, 2401 Scott Boulevard SE (24 hours) 
    Newspaper/magazines/mixed paper/office paper/junk mail/chipboard/telephone books/hard cover and paperback books, corrugated cardboard/cartons and aseptic packaging, glass (clear, brown, green), metal cans, holiday lights (at ReStore's donation area), wine corks (in Oil Recycling Shed or at ReStore)
  • Hy-vee Food Store, 1201 North Dodge Street (24 hours) *Please note that bins have been moved to the north side of the parking lot at the old Hy-Vee location
    Newspaper/magazines/mixed paper/office paper/junk mail/chipboard/telephone books/hard cover and paperback books, glass (clear, brown, green), #1 through #5 and #7 plastics, metal cans, corrugated cardboard/cartons and aseptic packaging
  • Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center, 3900 Hebl Avenue SW (7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday) 
    Newspaper/magazines/mixed paper/office paper/junk mail/chipboard/telephone books/hard cover and paperback books, corrugated cardboard/cartons and aseptic packaging, glass (clear, brown, green), #1 through #5 and #7 plastics, metal cans, holiday lights (with electronic waste)
  • Coralville Recycling Center, 950 Hughes St. (24 Hours). Paper and Cardboard: newspapers, magazines, mixed paper, office paper, junk mail, chipboard, telephone books, paperback books, corrugated cardboard. Plastics: #1 through #5 and #7 plastics. Metal: metal cans, aluminum pie pans, aluminum foil (in 1-inch ball)

    Visit the City of Coralville website for more information.


For more information about recycling, visit the Iowa City website



Living In the Apartment


You should notify the landlord of all necessary repairs in writing, making sure to date the notice and to keep a copy for your records.

Before you can terminate a lease because of a landlord's failure to make repairs, you must follow required legal procedures. Please make an appointment to discuss these procedures with an attorney in our office.

Living in the Apartment: Rights and Responsibilities of Landlords and Tenants

The Iowa UNIFORM RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD AND TENANT LAW is codified in the code of Iowa, chapter 562A. This law, in addition to your lease, spells out your responsibilities as a tenant, the landlord’s responsibilities, and what a landlord or a tenant can do if the other is not living up to their responsibilities. As a tenant, during the terms of your lease, you are required to follow the terms of your lease, including paying rent. Furthermore, even if it is not in the lease, the law requires tenants to:

  1. Comply with all obligations primarily imposed upon tenants by applicable provisions of building and housing codes materially affecting health and safety.
  2. Keep that part of the premises that the tenant occupies and uses as clean and safe as the condition of the premises permit.
  3. Dispose from the tenant's dwelling unit all ashes, rubbish, garbage, and other waste in a clean and safe manner.
  4. Keep all plumbing fixtures in the dwelling unit or used by the tenant as clean as their condition permits.
  5. Use in a reasonable manner all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances including elevators in the premises.
  6. Not deliberately or negligently destroy, deface, damage, impair or remove a part of the premises or knowingly permit a person to do so.
  7. Act in a manner that will not disturb a neighbor's peaceful enjoyment of the premises. (This can include noise.)

During the term of the lease, beyond anything written in the lease, the law requires the landlord to:

  • Comply with the requirements of applicable building and housing codes materially affecting health and safety.
  • Make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition.
  • Keep all common areas of the premises in a clean and safe condition. The landlord shall not be liable for any injury caused by any objects or materials which belong to or which have been placed by a tenant in the common areas of the premises used by the tenant.
  • Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by the landlord.
  • Provide and maintain appropriate receptacles and conveniences, accessible to all tenants, for the central collection and removal of ashes, garbage, rubbish, and other waste incidental to the occupancy of the dwelling unit and arrange for their removal.
  • Supply running water and reasonable amounts of hot water at all times and reasonable heat, except where the building that includes the dwelling unit is not required by law to be equipped for that purpose, or the dwelling unit is so constructed that heat or hot water is generated by an installation within the exclusive control of the tenant and supplied by a direct public utility connection.

A tenant must allow a landlord to have reasonable access to the apartment to make repairs and allow the landlord to show the apartment to potential future tenants. Unless there is a real emergency, the landlord must always obtain the tenants consent to enter the apartment and give the tenant 24 hours notice before entering.

As a tenant, you can comply with the law by keeping your apartment reasonably clean and not damaging the apartment.

Quick Tip: Be careful about what you put down the drains. If you put something inappropriate down the drains, and it backs up and damage to the apartment occurs, a landlord may be able to charge you for it. Watch out for potato skins and other hard organic matter that won’t biodegrade, even through a garbage disposal. These are notorious for clogging drains.

If either a tenant or a landlord is not living up to their obligations under the lease or the law, they may give the other party a seven day notice letter. This is a letter that tells the tenant or the landlord what the problem is, and that if it isn't fixed within 7 days, the lease will terminate.

You may also be evicted for creating a clear and present danger at your apartment. This usually refers to crime. Also, many leases have what is called a crime free addendum, meaning any crime committed at your apartment by you or someone you invited there is a violation of your lease. Know your lease, and be careful!

If you believe your landlord is not living up to their responsibilities under the law, or if the landlord accuses you of not living up to your responsibilities as a tenant, make an appointment with student legal services by calling 319-353-2242.

Illegal Conduct in Your Apartment

What could happen if your roommates are engaging in illegal conduct such as using or selling drugs, providing alcohol to minors, etc. in your apartment? 

  • The roommates' behavior could result in criminal charges against you, even if you are not directly involved in the illegal activities.  Therefore, you should take immediate action.
  • You should immediately notify your roommates that you do not consent to their illegal activity and want them to immediately stop engaging in those activities.  You should state that the illegal activities could result in eviction by the landlord, as well as criminal convictions.  You should be clear that if the behavior does not stop, you will notify the landlord as well as the police.  The notice should be given in writing, either by e-mail or mail, and you should make sure to save the notice for your records.
  • If the behavior does not stop, you may choose to give notice of the illegal activities to the landlord or the police.  If the landlord refuses to take action to stop the illegal activities, you should contact Student Legal Services to discuss how you can legally terminate the lease and move out of your apartment. 
  • If you report the illegal activities to the police, they could obtain a search warrant to search your residence.  If they discover illegal activities, the parties involved could be arrested and charged with criminal offenses.  If convicted, the person could be ordered to pay large fines and/or serve time in jail or prison.  Drug related convictions could result in the loss of student loans and could bar the person from gaining certain types of employment. 

Resources for Moving Out

Rent Abatement Ordinance

On Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017, the Iowa City Council passed a rent abatment ordinance that allows the City to order that rent be abated if a rental unit does not comply with the City’s housing code. If there is a substantial risk to the health or safety of the tenant, such as no heat in the winter, flooding, or a threatening electrical condition, as determined by the City, the City may issue an order that abates rent.

If rent is abated, the tenant is temporarily relived from the duty to pay rent. The City may also issue an order for rent abatement if the unit does not have a valid rental permit.  Only the city can order rent abated under this ordinance. Tenants cannot practice self-help and abate rent on their own. 

If you believe their is a safety issue with your apartment in Iowa City, you may contact Housing Inspection Services at 319-356-5135, or fill out an on-line complaint form here.

Resources for Moving Out

Illegal Lease Provisions

Automatic Carpet Cleaning Provisions:

Lease provisions that require the tenant to pay for carpet cleaning at the end of a lease, regardless of actual damage, are illegal and unenforceable.  This is true even if you have already signed the lease agreement.

A landlord cannot make you pay for carpet cleaning automatically.  The landlord must prove the carpet needs to be professionally cleaned to put the apartment in the condition in which you received it. This means the landlord can make you pay to clean up stains from spilled drinks or pets, but the landlord cannot force you to use a specific cleaning service or company. 

If you already signed a lease with an automatic carpet cleaning provision, here's what you can do:
-Write your landlord a letter saying the provision is illegal, consider including the links at the bottom of this article for reference.  By informing your landlord about the illegal nature of these provisions, you could negotiate with your landlord instead of going to court after the landlord has taken money from your security deposit.  Even if you do end up in court, your letter could serve as evidence showing the landlord acted in bad faith (they knew they were acting illegally) and this may make them liable for punitive damages to you worth up to two months rent.  
-Vacuum and clean your carpets before you leave, then take a video of you wiping a clean white cloth across the carpet and hold up the cloth to show it isn't dirty.  This can serve as evidence in court that your carpet did not require professional carpet cleaning. 

News stories:

Iowa cases:

No-Pet Provisions and Fines

Even if your lease has a no-pet provision, the landlord cannot impose a fine without showing specific damage. 

“Iowa Code § 562A.12(3) requires a landlord to provide the tenant with a specific reason for withholding any of the rental deposit, and also requires the landlord to prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, the reason for withholding any of the rental deposit, with ordinary wear and tear excepted.”

A lease provision that requires automatic fines for having a pet in a unit is illegal because the landlord is required to prove there is specific damage to the unit as a result of the tenant keeping a pet. The District Court in Johnson County has held that a landlord is not entitled to impose fines or deduct from the deposit without showing actual damage caused by having the pet. See:

Resources for Moving Out

Small Claims Guide

Small claims court was created to provide citizens with a low-cost, simple process for resolving civil disputes involving small amounts of money. The applicable Iowa laws may be found in Iowa Code chapter 631.

A small claims case is a civil action for a money judgment in which the amount in controversy is $5000 or less. An action for forcible entry and detainer arising out of a landlord tenant dispute can be brought in small claims court. In small claims court, cases are tried before a judge, not a jury, and without strict regard to technicalities of rules of procedure. There are easy to complete forms for small claims available on this website, with links to the forms and instrucions at the top of this page.

Start a Small Claims Case

To begin a small claims case, review the "Instructions for Pro Se Users " from the Iowa Bar.  You will then be able to choose and download the appropriate small claims Original Notice form available on this website. Once you complete the form, you must go to Iowa Courts E-filing website, create an account to become a registered user, and file the form in PDF format. You must also pay an $85 filing fee. There may be an additional cost for having the petition served on the other party.

Defending a Small Claims Case

If you have received an Original Notice naming you as a defendant, review the Instructions for a Defendant available through the Iowa Bar. Download a small claims Appearance and Answer form from this website. If you believe you also have a claim against the person suing you, you may file a small claims Counter Claim by using a form available on the same site. Once you complete the form, you must go to Iowa Courts E-filing website, create an account to become a registered user, and file the form in PDF format.  There is no fee for filing an answer. If you do not file an answer, you risk the chance of having the court enter a default judgment against you.

Court Hearing

If the other party has entered a timely answer or defaulted (not answered), the clerk will assign a case to the court calendar for hearing. The clerk shall transmit the case file to the judge assigned to hear the case. A magistrate, district associate judge, or district court judge may hear the case. Judicial magistrates hear most small claims cases. Small claims hearings shall be simple and informal. Follow the Tips for Representing Yourself on this website.

Hearings are not recorded by a certified court reporter unless the party provides the reporter at the party's own expense. At the magistrate's discretion the hearing may be electronically recorded by other means.

Failure to Appear at Hearing

Unless good cause to the contrary is shown, if parties fail to appear at the time of the hearing the claim shall be dismissed without prejudice. If the plaintiff fails to appear, but the defendant appears, the claim shall be dismissed with prejudice. If the plaintiff appears, but the defendant does not, judgment shall be rendered against the defendant.

Using a Lawyer for Small Claims

Some litigants in small claims court choose to have a lawyer, though it is not required. If you do want to have an attorney represent you in court, but want some assistance preparing your case you might consider retaining a lawyer for an hour or so to look over your case and point out strong and weak points.

Default Judgment

If a defendant fails to appear and the clerk of court determines proper notice was given, judgment shall be rendered against the defendant by the clerk of court if the relief is readily ascertainable. If the relief is not readily ascertainable, a judge shall render judgment.

Setting Aside a Default Judgment

A defendant may ask the court to set aside a default judgment for good cause, including mistake, inadvertence, surprise, excusable neglect, or unavoidable casualty. A motion to set aside a default judgment must be filed promptly after the discovery of the grounds, but not more than sixty days after entry of the judgment.


If you are unhappy with the decision in the case, you may appeal. To appeal you must:

  • Either tell the judge at the conclusion of the hearing that you want to appeal, or file a written notice of appeal with the clerk within twenty days after the decision is rendered.
  • Pay the docket fee to the clerk of court within twenty days after the decision is rendered.

If a magistrate decided the original action, a district associate or district court judge will hear the appeal. If a district associate judge heard the original action, a district court judge shall decide the appeal. And if a district court judge heard the original action, another district court judge shall decide the appeal.

The appeal shall be heard upon the record without taking additional evidence. If the original action was recorded electronically, the tape recording or other medium shall be the record on appeal.
If you are not pleased with the outcome of the appeal, you may ask the Iowa Supreme Court to review the case. In small claims cases, however, the supreme court has discretion to decide if it will review the case—review is not a matter of right.

Resources for Moving Out

Consumer's Guide to Fair Housing

Click below to view a PDF of the State of Iowa's Consumer's Guide to Fair Housing:

A Consumer's Guide to Fair Housing

A Consumer's Guide to Fair Housing is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. A joint project of the Governor's Developmental Disability Council, Iowa Civil Rights Commission, Iowa Division of Person with Disabilities, Iowa Legal Aid, Iowa Program for Assistive Technology, and the University of Iowa School of Law; with editorial and design support from the Center for Disabilities and Development, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

Resources for Moving Out