For up-to-the-minute information on the University of Iowa’s response to the Coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak, please visit the Campus Coronavirus Updates website.

Lease Gap Program

University Housing & Dining recognized a growing need to provide this type of housing for students after conversations with University of Iowa Student Government leaders. University Housing & Dining will provide temporary residence hall space for University of Iowa students who live off campus, but may be without housing between the end of their 2018-19 lease and the start of their 2019-20 lease.  This gap is commonly between 5 and 10 days that a student may be in need of housing.

The Lease Gap application is now live. Students can apply via,

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can students stay?

Students will be able to stay in the first and second floors of Stanley Residence Hall during the duration of their lease gap period. Students must check in at the front desk of Currier Hall. 

Stanley Hall features single-user restrooms; therefore, lease gap housing will be on mixed gender floors.

The Lease Gap program will run from July 20 to August 3, 2019. 


Approximately 40 students. Options may be available if need exceeds initial capacity. 


This program is only available to University of Iowa students and you must be 16 years old by July 13, 2019. Those under the age of 18 will need parent/guardian permission.

What does it cost?

$35/night for a single room - 3 night minimum. $35 no show fee if not cancelled by the day prior to their reservation. Students may check in at 12:00 PM, and must checkout by 11:00 AM on their departure day. Students who check out after 11:00 AM on their departure date will be charged for an additional day. All charges will be on the student's U-Bill. 

Students will be billed for any damages to the room and/or lost keys. 

How long can a student live in Lease Gap Housing?

A UI student can stay anywhere from 3-10 days. Students may be able to stay longer as space allows. 

How does a student sign up for the program?

University Housing & Dining will develop an online application for students to complete between mid-June and July 18. Application link is coming soon.


What is provided in the rooms?

The rooms will be air conditioned, have Ethernet and Wireless Internet, sink, and includes linens for the residence hall beds. Restrooms are single-user and floors are mixed gender.

Will the market places be open?

Catlett Market Place will be open throughout the program. Students may purchase meals individually via credit card or U-Bill charge.  They may also purchase a Herky Booster Pack of 25 meals that will roll over into the academic year. See for details.

Will I have to sign some sort of contract?

Yes, students will need to sign a legal agreement for lease gap housing as this is standard procedure. 

Will I have to purchase insurance?

All renters should have renters insurance. Students will need to notify their insurance company of this temporary change. 

What about my stuff?

See storage options and transportation services for more information. No furniture larger than a standard chair (44in H x 40in W x 40in D) is permitted to enter the student room.

Do I need to abide by residence hall policies?

Yes, residence hall policies will apply. No alcohol, drugs or tobacco (including e-cigarettes) use is permitted. 

Will staff be available?
University Housing & Dining staff will be on call for emergency response. 

Can I bring my furniture in?

No - unfortunately we cannot allow large items to be moved into the residences halls, so students will need to make storage arrangements as referenced above.

Moving assistance will not be provided. 

Can I bring my pets?

No, we cannot allow pets during this temporary housing. 

Is parking available?

Parking is available off-street and in the ramp - though, you may unload your belongings in front of Burge using the temporary loading dock.  

ADA/Medical Needs

Accommodation requests must be made in writing by Friday, July 13, 2019 and will be supported on an individual basis.

For non-gender conforming individuals

Housing is available and we will work with students on an individual basis to best meet their needs. 

Where can I found out more information?

For more information, visit the Housing Administration Front Desk in 4141 Burge (opened from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm) or call 319-335-3000.


Disclaimer: the information on this website is provided as a resource only, and the University of Iowa makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability with respect to the information, products, or services. The University of Iowa is not affiliated with any of the service providers listed on this website and is not liable for the use of any of the information, products, or services contained herein.